College of Charleston Library
66 George Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Title: Paul Weidner Papers
Collection #: 0074
Size: 1.2 linear feet
Biographical Note: Professor of English at the College of Charleston. He received a B.A. from Miami University in 1921 and a M.A. from Harvard University in 1922. He was a graduate student at Ohio State University from 1939-1940. He taught at Miami University from 1920-1923 and at the College of Charleston from 1923-1961. He died July 27, 1961.
Scope and Content Note: Collection consists of unpublished monographs on William Shakespeare, on John Milton, and on rare books in the College of Charleston Library.
Milton, John, 1608-1674.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.
College of Charleston -- Faculty.
College of Charleston. Library -- Catalogs.
English literature -- Early modern, 1500-1700.
1. "John Milton: Notes on Paradise Lost" (1939; commentary by book and line with glossary). 453 p. typescript.
2. "John Milton: Notes on Paradise Regained, Samson Agonistes, and the Minor English Poems" (1939; commentary by book and line with glossary). 897 p. typescript.
3a. "Six Studies in Milton: Essays Supplementary to the Notes on the Poetry of John Milton; Milton's Angels; Milton's Cosmology; Legend of the Fall of the Angels; Spenser and Milton; Milton and the Art of Rhetoric; Lycidas" (1936-1940). 209 p. typescript.
3b. "Four Studies in the Poetry of Milton..." (another copy of the first four essays listed in the previous volume, but also an original typescript).
3c. "Milton's Lycidas: Notes and Comments" (another copy of the final essay in the second volume, but also an original typescript).
4. "A Milton Bibliography, 1928-1937" (1938; prepared as a supplement to "Reference Guide to Milton" by David H. Stevens, 1930). 29 p. Photocopy of typescript.
5. "William Shakespeare: the Tragedy of Hamlet; Notes and Comments" (1938; commentary by act, scene, and line). 168 p. typescript.
6. "A Biographical Dictionary of the Historical Characters in the Chronicle Plays of Shakespeare: King John; Richard II; Henry IV, Part I; Henry IV, Part II; Henry V; Henry VI, Part I; Henry VI, Part II; Henry VI, Part III; Richard III; Henry VIII" (1952). 553 p. and 12 genealogical tables. Typescript.
7. "A Catalogue of the Rare and Valuable Books in the College of Charleston Library with Bibliographical Descriptions and Notes" (1950). Approx. 100 p. typescript.