College of Charleston Library
66 George Street
Charleston, SC 29424
Title: Temple of Israel (Greenville, S.C.) scrapbooks
Collection #: Mss 1050
Size: .375 linear ft.
Biographical Note: The Jewish community of Greenville, South Carolina, first organized in 1911, when six Jewish families began meeting regularly in each others homes for discussion and religious observance. By 1917, a larger, more formally organized group held services in Greenville's public halls. In April 1929, The Temple of Israel, a Reform congregation, was officially dedicated. Services were conducted by lay leaders until 1937 when Rabbi Maurice M. Mazure was installed as the first full-time spiritual leader. In 1989 The Temple of Israel moved to a new location on Greenville's east side. By fall 2000, the congregation was 200 families strong and growing larger each year.
Scope and Content Note:
The collection consists of photocopies of three scrapbooks (1964-1978) compiled by Temple of Israel members. (The originals remain at Temple of Israel.) Scrapbooks contain news clippings pertaining to congregation members and civic affiliations; Sisterhood activities and fundraisers; mentions and explanations of religious services; articles about temple participation in ecumenical meetings; clippings re. work of temple rabbis; articles about prominent members of congregation; obituaries.
It also includes mentions of lectures, luncheons and anniversary celebrations; Jeanet Dreskin's work with the Greenville County Museum School of Art; Jewish organization conferences held in Greenville; wedding announcements; etc. Majority of clippings are from the Greenville News or Greenville Piedmont. Scrapbook #1 includes article (published in 1929) about the history of Greenville's Jewish community and dedication of the temple.
|I.||Scrapbook # 1 (1929, 1964-1977): Article (written in 1929) re. history of Jewish community in Greenville and dedication of new temple; news clippings re. Temple of Israel Sisterhood (affiliated with Women of Reform Judaism) activities including Holland Bulb sale, Bulb Clinic, dinner dances, benefits, installation of new officers, rummage sale; 1977-1978 Temple of Israel Sisterhood budget.; articles re. activities of Rabbi Edward L. Cohn (including his 1968 marriage announcement); Temple of Israel Youth Group; re. holiday services; ecumenical prayer service and lecture held in Greenville (1966); interfaith panel discussion (1971); lectures held at temple (speakers included Dr. Samuel Sandmel, Amnon Gil-Ad, Max Heller, Rabbi Sanford Shapiro); re. Rabbi, Fred M. Raskind (1972); article explaining significance of Jewish holidays; obituaries and articles about congregation members including, Bennet Meyers, Eben and Joan Medlicott, Sylvia D. Dreyfus; article re. dedication of new temple sanctuary (1975); activities of Max Heller and Jeanet Dreskin; article, "The Final Solution to the Arab Question" by Rabbi Ross London (of Temple Israel) published in Times-Outlook, (Jan. 1978); photographs from Sisterhood activities; fliers for synagogue suppers, Key Klub events, bridge luncheons; programs from confirmations and 60th anniversary celebration (1973).||
|II.||Scrapbook #2 (1965-1970): News clippings re. achievements of Temple Israel members including: Mrs. Arthur E. (Jeanet) Dreskin (re. work with art and hospitals) and Bette Lee Coburn (re. exhibition of her work at the Greenville County Art Museum); articles re. Sisterhood activities (teas and garden tours); congregation members and involvement with various clubs including Lions Club, Reserve Officers Association, Arts Association, Kiwanis, Zonta Club of Greenville; article re. meeting of SC Association of Bínai Bírith Lodges (1967); re. Israel Bond campaign; marriage announcements; article by Miss Frances Levin re. her voyage to Europe on the RMS Queen Mary and experience as an exchange student in Switzerland; article about Pre-Columbian pottery exhibit at the Greenville Museum of Art collected by the Ludwig Rothschilds; re. world affairs forum in Greenville, topic, "Peace in the Middle East" (1968); new officers of Greenville Chapter of National Council of Jewish Women; many articles about Greenville County Art Museum (most pertaining to Jeanet Dreskin); re. holiday services at Temple Israel (Succos Festival); articles on Jacob Adler and Rabbi Howard Zyskind; activities of local chapter of Bínai Bírith Girls; Mordecai Nachman obituary; photographs of Israel Bond Drive members (1965, 1967)||
|III.||Scrapbook #3 (1970-1978): News clippings; articles re. congregation members and involvement with civic organizations such as Kiwanis, Greenville County Foundation, Greenville Symphony Association, Greenville Parks and Recreation Department; article about Sylvia Dreyfusís campaign for South Carolina House of Representatives; articles about Jeanet Dreskin and her role as the director of the Greenville County Museum School of Art; clipping re. Harry Abrams 75th birthday; activities of the Temple Israel Youth Group; wedding announcements; article re. Rabbi Howard Zyskindís role in assisting Vietnam War POWís (1973); article re. Leslie Raskindís use of astrology in teaching; work of Greenvilleís chapter, United Jewish Appeal; re. Rabbi Fred Raskindís participation in non-traditional wedding; annual convention of South Carolina Federation of Temple Sisterhoods (1975); article explaining Jewish holidays; Harry Abrams obituary (1977); article about Rabbi, Ross London.||